Archivist Quill Base Kit (pre-order)
This product is for pre-ordering a base Archivist Quill Kit. If you want to ensure that you get the next available kit, you can order this. It will ship as soon as all of the requisite parts are available. This kit includes parts for the scanning rig itself along with lights. You will need to provide cameras and a way to control them yourself.
Note that you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to be notified when kits are back in stock.
Built from aluminum, steel, and plastic, the Archivist Quill base kit is designed to provide an ideal photographic environment for scanning books. The Archivist Quill maximizes the quality of the images while minimizing the need for post-processing heuristics like dewarping which are often failure-prone.
A V-shaped cradle and platen system presses the pages flat against glass while being gentle on book spines. High quality LEDs provide bright and even light from above. The geometry of the camera and lights is designed to remove nearly all glare. Potentially reflective surfaces on the machine are black to avoid lighting artifacts.
High quality book scanning no longer requires the resources of a corporation or large institution. The Archivist Quill is cheap enough that individuals and small organizations can afford it. And it is compact and light enough to be shipped easily anywhere in the world.
- DIY kit using T-Slot and V-Slot aluminum beams screwed together with metal and plastic plates.
- A bolt-together design and detailed photographic assembly manual make it easy to assemble.
- A novice can scan hundreds of pages per hour
- With experience, an operator can scan over a thousand pages per hour
- Allows scanning of large books up to 300 mm (11.8 in) x 400 mm (15.75 in) in size
The base kit is not a complete scanning package. You will also need cameras and a way to control them.
- Any camera with a standard tripod mount can be attached to the Archivist Quill.
- Typically two cameras are used to capture both opposing page images simultaneously. Single camera operation is also possible, though slower.
Please see the user manual for information about assembling and using your scanner. For problems or other issues with your scanner, contact email@example.com.